Saturday, August 16, 2008

And We're Off


In just a few hours I'll leave for a galaxy far, far away. I'm going to Slovakia--Bratislava for a week and then Tisovec for the next ten months. I'll be teaching English at a bilingual high school there. 'Who moves to Slovakia to teach English?' you're asking. Well, me, obviously, and about 12 to 15 volunteers a year in this particular program. Tisovec is pretty much right in the middle of the country, lengthwise. It's a smallish town, and the pictures I've seen are pretty. There are mountains, and it will snow. As you can see, Tisovec is underneath the K, and a little to the left.

It's not going to be an easy trip, and truthfully, I'm not entirely looking forward to the traveling part. Once I actually get there everything will be fine, but right now, it's not looking too good. I haven't flown this long one way since I came back from Europe last time. First I have to fly to New York; then I have an eight-hour layover; then a 4,000 mile flight to Prague; then a five-hour layover; then a one-hour flight to Bratislava. I'm going to leave my house at 9 PM Friday and get to Bratislava at 12:30 PM Sunday.

I don't know much about Bratislava, but I am pretty much prepared to promise that it is nothing like the depiction in "Eurotrip." I will be on the lookout for small dogs holding human hands, though. I will also do my very best to update here when I'm gone. I really want to go to Spišsky Hrad, which is pretty much the most famous castle in Slovakia.

So I'm off, on the Big Time. I will leave you an Anglo-Saxon metrical charm, as per usual. It was translated by Gavin Chappell. I thought it was pretty apt, and it's always good to throw medieval literature out there for more people to read.

A Journey Charm
I circle myself with this rod trust to God's grace,
Against the sore stitch, against the sore bite,
Against the grim dread,
Against the great horror that is hateful to all,
And all evil that enters this land.
A victory charm I sing, a victory rod I bear,
Victory of words, victory of works. May they assist me;
So no lake hinder me, nor loathed foe oppress me,
Nor my life be fraught with fear,
But keep me hale, Almighty, Son and Holy Ghost,
Worthy Lord of all wonder,
So I have heard, heaven's creator.
Abraham and Isaac
And such men, Moses and Jacob,
And David and Joseph,
And Eve and Anna and Elizabeth,
Sarah and also Mary, mother of Christ,
And also the brothers, Peter and Paul,
And also thousands of your angels,
I call on to defend me against all foes.
May they guide me and guard me and safeguard my path,
Maintain me entirely and administer me,
Directing my works; may the host of holy ones
Be the hope of glory, the hand over head,
The host of triumphant, true-hearted angels.
I bid them all, in blithe mood,
That Matthew be my helmet; Mark my byrnie,
Light, life's strength, Luke my sword,
Sharp and sheer-edged; John my shield,
Gloriously adorned, angel of the track-way.
I fare forth; I shall meet friends,
All glory of angels, the lore of the good.
I pray now to the God of victory, for God's mercy,
For a good passage, a peaceful and light
Wind from these shores. Of storms I have heard
That wake swirling waters. Always secure
Against all foes. May I meet with friends,
So I may dwell in the Almighty's peace,
Protected from the loathed one seeking my life,
Established in the majesty of angels,
And in the holy hand of heaven's ruler,
For the span that I stay in this life.
Amen.

No comments: