Tuesday, December 12, 2023

The Ice Cream Index

The week before last I saw an ad for a product that let you record and display how many countries you've visited.  This led me to ponder the eternal question of what counts as having "visited" a country.  Is it:

  • passing through an airport?
  • eating a meal?
  • getting a stamp in your passport?
  • buying souvenirs?
  • spending a night? 
  • something else?

And it came to me that the appropriate way to gauge whether or not I personally have truly "visited" a country is if I've eaten ice cream there.

(I'm using "ice cream" as an umbrella term for frozen treats eaten with a spoon or from a cone, regardless of local names or variations in recipe.)

I feel this is a good gauge of whether or not I've "visited" a country, because the longer you've spent in a place, the more opportunity you've had to eat dessert.  One could counter that not having eaten ice cream somewhere could just mean you weren't there during ice cream season; the fact that I ate gelato for dinner in Florence in December should make clear that I believe that there is no such thing as Not Ice Cream Season (sell me ice cream all year round, you cowards).  To that end, I have categorized all of the countries I've "visited" based on the likelihood I consumed ice cream there.  Feel free to use this system in discussing your own travels.

🍦🍦🍦 (three cones): I definitely ate ice cream in this country
the US
Spain
Slovakia
Austria
the UK
Italy
Türkiye

🍦🍦 (two cones): it is possible that I ate ice cream in this country
Portugal
France
Canada
Gibraltar
Croatia
Poland

🍦 (one cone): it is unlikely that I ate ice cream in this country
Hungary
Switzerland
Germany
Ireland
Czech Republic

🥦 (broccoli): I definitely did not eat ice cream in this country
Andorra
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Morocco
Romania

No comments: