Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Fish Church

We took a drive up the coast and back the other week, so I'll be posting some selected sights and sites from that.  The posts will be in no particular order.

First Presbyterian is only a few blocks from the Wedge Inn in Stamford, and I'm incredulous that I'd never been here before.  Known as the "Fish Church" (though it was purportedly not meant to be pesciform*), it was designed by Wallace K. Harrison in the '50s.  From the outside one can only tell that the building is a bit oddly shaped for a church; upon entering its uniqueness becomes much more evident.  The sanctuary is made of concrete, with vaguely triangular stained glass panels comprising the walls of the front half of the fish.  My pictures didn't turn out very well as even with the glass the church is fairly dim.  It's an interesting place to visit if you've got a little free time in Stamford, but I'm not sure I would make a special trip there just to see it.

 

 

*If this is not in fact a cromulent word for "fish-shaped" then it should be.

No comments: