Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

This year, I am thankful for
my family;
getting to see my friends this summer, and having friends where years and miles apart make no difference, because the more things change, the more they stay the same;
the internet;
"Brownie," my Tisovec dog;
my new bathroom, even without its door;
my kids, who, against all reason, can make me smile just by saying hello in the halls;
my Slovak colleagues;
Kofola, forever and always;
learning new things, like about Britain after the Middle Ages;
having a(n American) football and getting kids to play with us;
the opportunities to travel and see and do new things;
our plans for Christmas (wait for it...it's gonna be legendary);
ruská zmrzlina;
health and safety;
this amazing, strange, beautiful country that I get to live in and love and be "from";
los otros gringos aquí, whom I adore;
knowing that no matter how long and hard the road, no matter how fun the trip, at the end of it I will walk down the middle of the street surrounded by my hills and, even if I can't see them, my sheep and my stars, and sleep well in my own bed at night.

And now I am proud to present the new T-town song. The students had a coffeehouse last night and we were asked to present something, so we created and sang this song, to the tune of "Part of Your World" from Disney's "The Little Mermaid." "Ako sa povie?" means "How do you say?" in Slovak. The more I watch the video, the more I seem to be just shouting rather than singing, but it was the most fun.

Look at this place, isn't it neat?
I get around on just my two feet!
Wouldn't you think it's the town,
The town that has everything?
Look at this view, treasures untold
How many wonders can one valley hold?
Lookin' around you'd think sure, it's got everything.
We've got Kofola and gul aplenty
We've got bryndza and haluky galore
Want potraviny? We've got twenty!
Yeah T-town! But that's not all...it's got more.

You can be where the ovce are
You can see, you can see 'em grazing
Strolling around on those--ako sa povie?--hills
Taking the bus you don't go too fast
But there's no rush and no reason to leave
Strolling along down those--ako sa povie?--streets
Down where they bike, down where they hike,
Down where they play all day on the courts
Not getting tan
But glad that I am
Part of this world

What did I give to be able to live next to this potok?
What did I pay to spend my days looking at rocks?
People might say let's get away, let's head to Praha for the weekend
See new face, go new places, ready to leave

But we want to be where the two street are
In our small town where we can't get lost
When does a town become--ako sa povie?--home
I'm here to stay, laugh, learn and play
And give my heart to friends in this place
At EGT
Glad I can be
Part of this world


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: